Feed

Mar 22, 2010

Trail Names (3/22/10)

One of the traditions of doing a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail is the trail name. It's kind of like trucker handle, as far as I can tell. Whenever referring to someone you meet on the trail, you call them by their trail name instead of their actual name. It's a chance to create your own persona, and also (I think) a way of distancing yourself from the normal (non-trail) world.

In a lot of the stories and forums I've read through, there seem to be a lot of animal-based names. Grey-wolf, hungry bear, foxxy fox - stuff like that. Others are pretty clever - usually some sort of smart reference. A lot of times people don't have a name before they get on the trail, and end up "receiving" their name from someone else on the trail. These ones don't always turn out well.

Fortunately, I've already figured out my trail name. And I gotta say, it's pretty much the best trail name that's ever been thought of. I will definitely win prizes for this. You ready for it? While on the trail, I will be referred to as:

Rhymenoceros

It's both an animal and a clever reference. You can look high and low, and you will never find a better trail name than this. Don't even try.

In case you don't understand the reference, check this out:



You're welcome.

2 comments:

Copyright © 2010 1.2 Million Steps All rights reserved.