Feed

Apr 15, 2010

Fontana (4-15-10)


The past couple days have been tough.  The weather's been great, but I'm starting to run out of steam.

Wed morning, I woke up and had a big bfast at the restaurant next to the river.  I ordered everything they had on the menu and felt a little sick afterward.

The first seven miles that day were uphill and they definitely slowed me down.  I had a quick lunch on cheoah bald and got moving right away.

I saw my first snake that morning and it scared the cuss out of me.  It was a black snake, maybe four ft long.  I would actually go on to see two more snakes yesterday and today.

I did 16 tough miles yesterday and I told myself I would reward myself by doing an easy 12 today, but I still found it tough.  I'm at fontana lake right now which is a pretty low elevation - so, today was a lot of downhill.  My right knee has been hurting on downhills, which means I have to go really slow.

The shelter at fontana lake is really nice and there's even a shower nearby.  I feel much better after the shower.  It was so nasty, but it did the trick. You haven't truly lived unless you've toweled yourself off with a piece of shamwow!

Tomorrow we cross fantana dam and enter the smokies.  The plan is to meet christine near clingmans dome.  I'm just about to run out of food, so tomorrow and sat could be rough.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Matt, just checked in with fb today to wish you a very happy birthday not realizing that you had already started your hiking adventure on the Appalachian Trail. Have been enjoying all of your comments--very cool--now I'm going to be checking in on a regular basis. Take care, Matt and hope you have a moment to celebrate your birthday! ~Aunt Janet (so not to be confused with "the famous Miss Janet"!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Matt! Great job on these entries. I hope that you keep them up. Happy birthday a few days ago. Hope the snakes didn't get you.

    What do people think of your trail name?

    --Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys, for the birthday wishes.

    The trailname has had mixed success, I would say. In the beginning, I was getting about a one in three recognition rate and I was using that as a litmus test for determining who was worthy of my friendship. But ever since the first week, not a lot of people are understanding my trail name:
    Them-"Rhynocerous?"
    Me-"Kinda, but instead of 'Rhyn', it's 'Rhymn'"
    Them-"Mmmmmkay, but why? Are you good at rhyming?"
    Me-*Facepalm*

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2010 1.2 Million Steps All rights reserved.