Feed

Apr 24, 2010

Hot Springs (4-24-10)

I got up pretty early this morning and did the quick hike down to town. It's probably too early to say, but I think my Achilles is working better now. Last night, I finished up most of my remaining food - in anticipation of a re-supply today. I had a quick a breakfast of nutella on a tortilla and headed out or camp ASAP.

Hot Springs in a pretty small town (my book says the population is ~600) which is known for its hot springs (I think I read before my trip that the town was originally named Warm Springs, but was later changed so as to draw more visitors - but don't quote me on that) as well as being located directly on the AT. This year they are doing some sort of hiking-themed festival, and it just so happens to correspond with the time when I'm going through town. Across the street, there's some music playing, but I'm over in the library catching up on my back-logged posts.

Before stopping at the library, I stopped at Elmer's B&B - which is one of the most famous hostels along the AT. It's pretty much what you'd expect of a B&B, except it's very hiker friendly - in fact, I believe the owner hiked the trail back in the 70's. There's a a library on the first floor as well as a music room (with guitars, a piano and a banjo). Upstairs, there are maybe six or seven rooms decorated with antique furniture. The place has character. Everyone's been saying that all of the hotels/hostels in town would be booked-up b/c of the festival - but I stopped in at Elmer's, talked to Elmer (I don't think that's his real name) and he had a few spots open.

From AT 2010


From Elmer's, I crossed the street to visit the Dollar store to pick up some food for the trail as well as some food for immediate consuption. I got a box of vanilla cookies and a half gallon of milk - I'm feeling pretty sick now. I've done this a couple of times now - where I grab too much food - and everytime I swear I'll think twice before committing myself to massive quantities of junk food, but I've yet to learn my lesson.

Dispite this massive intake of deliciousness, I've still managed to loose some weight, apparently. There was a scale at Standing Bear hostel which was pretty generous, but talking to other hikers confirmed that the scale was being generous with everyone. But Elmer's had a scale as well (which is supposedly pretty accurate), and it shows me about ten pounds lighter. I'm waiting for a third opinion, though...

Tonight is supposed to rain as well as tomorrow. That's one of the reasons I'm staying in town tonight - well, that, and I like sleeping in a bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010 1.2 Million Steps All rights reserved.