Feed

Apr 13, 2010

Noc (4-13-10)


Monday morning christine dropped me off at the franklin trailhead.  It was a late start but I was picking up mileage fast.   Before I knew it, I was at silar bald.

I remember reading about balds, but its a very different thing to see them in person.  Balds are open meadows on the tops of mtns.

I stopped for lunch at silar bald, and I ran into ultra white and his friend. His friend and I bonded over our watches.  When christine came to visit me, she brought my watch.  Now I can know what time it is without having to fire up my phone.

At wayah bald, I caught up with some guys I've been camping with.  I was going to call it a day after wayah bald, but they encouraged me to go further. Man, that was a mistake. I was really feeling it that night. 

Tuesday was all about the noc.  The at crosses the nantahala river at the noc.  Over the course of the day, we probably lost 4000 ft in elevation.  Tomorrow, we pick up another 3 or 4 thousand ft.

I'm staying at a hostel here.  I got a pretty tasty hamburger for dinner, and I plan to get some bfast tomorrow before heading out.

I'm writing this from my phone, so if this post seems like a long txt msg, that's why.  I need to find a library!

1 comment:

  1. Matt - I never realized that there was such a culture to hikers on the AT. How far have you gone so far? The map is nice but it doesn't give me a sense of how far you are going each day. I did visit a couple of the balds during field trips when I went to UGA and they are impressive. Stay dry and keep on truckin.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2010 1.2 Million Steps All rights reserved.