Feed

Apr 7, 2010

Neels Gap (4/5/10)

Monday night I got to Neels Gap which is the first major milestone of the hike. It's the first major road crossing, and, consequently, one of the first places where aspiring thru-hikers leave the trail. It's also an outfitter (some food and gear), and has a hostel as well.

From AT 2010


I spent Monday huffing and puffing to get to neels gap before 6. The outfitter closes at six, and I had been hearing along the way that the hostel was booked up because of all the thru-hikers starting this time of the year. I got there (aching and exhausted) and learned that there were a number of spaces available. So, I got a spot and was very happy with myself.

Just before Neels gap is Blood Mtn. Blood Mtn is one of the highest Mtns in GA (3rd, I think) and the path down the Mtn to Neels Gap was very trying. I'm learning very quickly that I can handle the uphills just fine, but the downhills are really slowing me down.

So, that night, I stayed at the hostel and I'm very glad I was able to get in. The hostel is run by a lady that goes by Miss Janet. Miss Janet is a pretty famous person in the hiking community. I didn't know what she looked like, so when she introduced herself as Janet, I was like Miss Janet, and then she said "yes." The, I asked: "the famous Miss Janet?" and she thought that was pretty funny.

Miss Janet is a great person. She made dinner for all of us, and told us stories about previous hikers and had a lot of useful advice. The next morning, she did it all over again and made us all breakfast (pancakes and eggs with ham). That made the rest of the day much easier.

The night that I stayed in the hostel, there were a number of other hikers camping in the general vacinity of Neels Gap who had encounters with bears. A bunch of hikers had their food bags taken, and I think one girl had her backpack torn apart. One guy (Low Rod is his name I believe) actually fended off the bear. The guy's in his sixties I think and he stared down the bear until the bear left his food alone. If you look in the dictionary under Badass, you will see this guy's picture.

My time on the computer's about to run out. I've got plenty more to write, but that will have to wait for another time. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I can Bear-ly believe that guy survived the encounter unharmed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I looked up 'BadAss', I found Rhymenoceros next to Low Rod - glad you are doing well -Chris

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2010 1.2 Million Steps All rights reserved.