Feed

Apr 7, 2010

Hiawassee (4/7/10)

I'm writing this from the public library of Hiawassee, GA. The library closes in about 20 minutes or so - so, I'm going to make this fast.

The trip's been going pretty well so far. Great weather. If anything, it's been too hot out. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so that could change things.

Today was a big day for me. I hitchhiked for the first time. It was awesome. I was waiting for maybe 10 mintutes or so before a truck with a guy and a gal pulled over and picked me up. I thought I would be there forever, but it turned out to be easier than I thought. Apparently, there's an awareness of hikers in this area, so my chance of getting picked up are better here than other places.

I'm staying at a place called the blueberry patch. It's a christian hostel run by a guy that's a former thru-hiker. There's no charge to stay; it's all donations. The guy has a garage behind his house that's set up with about 15 bunk beds and a kitchen. The bathroom/shower is in a separate building out back. The path to the bathroom goes past a garden (where he and his wife grow blueberries) and donkeys and goats. Needless to say, the place is pretty awesome.

From AT 2010


After the library closes, I'm off to the local grocery store to pick up some more food. One of the other guys at the hostel needs a new memory card for his camera, so if I see one I'm going to pick one up for him.

The first thing I did today when I got to the hostel was shower. Oh man, does that feel good. I've never been this dirty before!

2 comments:

  1. I need details on the people who picked you up! Were they nice, did they try to molest you, what did you talk about on the ride, etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good Matt!!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2010 1.2 Million Steps All rights reserved.